Toronto, March 25, 2021
Port of Montreal – Federal Government planning back-to-work Legislation in the event of port strike.
An article in Quebec's La Presse newspaper on March 23rd suggests that the Trudeau government plans to react quickly to any strike action on the part of the longshoremen at the Port of Montreal. Filomena Tassi, the Minister of Labour, is preparing back-to-work legislation in the event a strike is declared. The two parties, the Longshoremen's Union Local 375 and the Maritime Employers' Association, are said to be heading back to the negotiating table this week after the union rejected the employer's so-called "final offer" on Sunday, March 21st. The office of Labour Minister Tassi told the Canadian Press that it is pleased with the parties return to the bargaining table and invites the parties to come to an agreement as soon as possible.
Despite continued negotiations and with the potential of back-to work legislation, the situation at the Port of Montreal continues to deteriorate. As noted previously, CN & CP Rail have extended their embargo on export cargo destined to the port and, at the same time, a shortage of empty railcars has resulted in significant delays in the movement of import containers inland.
For more information, please call David Lychek, Manager – Ocean & Air Services at (905) 882-4880, ext. 1207.