The latest semi-annual list of verification priorities for the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) has been released.
New to the list are Freezers and Other Freezing Equipment, Heading 84.18 and Washers and Dryers, Headings 84.50 and 84.51, both of which were added as verification priorities in May 2023:
The list also includes additional rounds for items that have appeared on previous lists:
- LED Lamps (Round 2) – Heading 85.39
- Furniture for non-domestic purposes (Round 4) – Headings 94.01 and 94.03
- Parts of machines and mechanical appliances (Round 2) – Heading 84.79
- Pickled vegetables (Round 5) – Heading 20.01
- Bags (Round 2) – Heading 42.02
- Spent Fowl (Round 3) – Headings 02.07, 16.01 and 16.02
- Cell phone cases (Round 3) – Headings 39.26, 42.02 and 85.17
When a verification priority has been completed (or additional rounds added due to high levels of non-compliance), the CBSA posts the risk assessment and general verification results. As an example, see below in regards to the misclassification of Spent fowl:
With respect to valuation, there is one continued item:
- Apparel (Round 4) – Chapters 61 and 62
For origin, there are no active verification priorities at this time.
CBSA also maintains a historical verification priorities list, which should be reviewed by all importers as they will likely circle back to these reviews in order to ensure compliance.
The next list of priorities is expected in January 2024.
For more information, contact Brian Rowe, Director – Customs Compliance & Regulatory Affairs.