New to the list are Indicator Panels and Light-Emitting Diodes (LED), Heading 85.31 and 84.41, which were added as a verification priority in March 2022:
The list also includes many items that have appeared on previous lists:
- Disposable and Protective Gloves – Subheadings 3926.20 and 4015.19
- Furniture for non-domestic purposes – Headings 94.01 and 94.03
- Parts of machines and mechanical appliances – Heading 84.79
- Pickled vegetables – Heading 20.01
- Batteries – Heading 85.06
- Spent Fowl – Headings 02.07, 16.01 and 16.02
- Cell phone cases – Headings 39.26, 42.02 and 85.17
When a verification priority has been completed (or additional rounds added due to high levels of non-compliance), the CBSA posts the risk assessment and general verification results. As an example, see below in regards to the misclassification of Pasta:
With respect to valuation, there are two continued items:
- Apparel (Round 4) – Chapters 61 and 62
- Footwear (Round 2) – Chapter 64
For origin, there are no active verification priorities at this time.
CBSA also maintains a historical verification priorities list, which should be reviewed by all importers as they will likely circle back to these reviews in order to ensure compliance.
The next list of priorities is expected in January 2023.
For more information, contact Brian Rowe, Director – Customs Compliance & Regulatory Affairs.