As customs brokers we are used to managing change, especially new CBSA initiated programs. In most cases, we manage these changes behind the scenes. Our clients rightfully expect that we will take care of everything on their behalf – and we do. CARM , however, is one of the first Customs initiatives that absolutely requires importer engagement.
Universal Logistics will help our clients along the road to CARM to ensure a smooth transition. The CARM initiative will be implemented in phases (or releases). Release 1 went into effect on May 25, 2021. Full implementation of Release 2 (expected May/June 2022) is delayed until at least January 2023.
IMPORTANT: All importers to Canada (whether resident or non-resident) must take certain steps – if not, they simply won’t be able to import into Canada once CARM Release 2 comes into effect (January 2023).
CARM Release 2 Key Functionality for External Clients:
- Submit new commercial accounting declarations with ability to make corrections and adjustments.
- All Importers must post security for duty and GST outlays in order to participate in RPP (Release Prior to Payment).
- Harmonized billing cycle that aligns payment due dates and provides more time to make interest-free corrections.
- Customizable electronic notification options.
Here’s what you need to know to get ready…
- Identify your company’s Business Account Manager(s) – BAM
- Register your business in the CARM Client Portal
- Delegate authority to your customs broker
- Secure a Release of Goods Bond – Release 2 (scheduled for May/June 2022)
The CBSA’s Assessment and Revenue Management team is hosting free CARM webinars – tailored specifically for Importers – and focusing on CARM Client Portal Onboarding.
Registration is required for these webinars. Please register using the links below:
|Date / Time||Registration Link|
|Tuesday, March 22, 2022 – 1:00pm-2:30pm EST – English||Register|
|Tuesday, March 22, 2022 – 3:00pm-4:30pm EST – French||Register|